Team for Advanced Flow Simulation and Modeling
For more information:
Free-Surface Flow Past a Cylinder
In this study, we simulate free-surface flow past a circular cylinder standing vertically. The Reynolds number based on upstream velocity and cylinder diameter is 10 million. The upstream Froude number is 0.564. The Deformable-Spatial- Domain/Stabilized Space-Time (DSD/SST) formulation is used with an algebraic mesh update method to solve this problem. The mesh consists of 230,480 triangular-based prism elements and 258,764 space-time nodes. The free surface height is governed with kinematic free-surface condition and solved with, again, a stabilized formulation. The figures below show, at an instant, the cylinder together with the free surface color-coded with the velocity magnitude and side boundary surface color-coded with the fluid pressure. The bow wave in front of the cylinder, the hydraulic jump behind, and the V- shaped waves in the wake are characteristics of this flow problem. The computations were carried out on a CM-5.
The mesh generator and flow solver were developed by the T*AFSM
1. T.E. Tezduyar, "Stabilized Finite Element Formulations for Incompressible Flow Computations", Advances in Applied Mechanics, 28 (1991) 1-44.
2. T.E. Tezduyar, M. Behr and J. Liou, "A New Strategy for Finite Element Computations Involving Moving Boundaries and Interfaces--The DSD/ST Procedure: I. The Concept and the Preliminary Numerical Tests", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 94 (1992) 339-351.
3. T.E. Tezduyar, M. Behr, S. Mittal and J. Liou, "A New Strategy for Finite Element Computations Involving Moving Boundaries and Interfaces--The DSD/ST Procedure: II. Computation of Free-surface Flows, Two-liquid Flows, and Flows with Drifting Cylinders", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 94 (1992) 353-371.
4. T. Tezduyar, "Advanced Flow Simulation and Modeling", Flow Simulation with the Finite Element Method (in Japanese), Springer-Verlag, Tokyo, Japan (1998).
5. T. Tezduyar, "CFD Methods for Three-Dimensional Computation of Complex Flow Problems", Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 81 (1999) 97-116.
6. I. Guler, M. Behr and T.E. Tezduyar, "Parallel Finite Element Computation of Free-Surface Flows", Computational Mechanics, 23 (1999) 117-123.
7. T. Tezduyar and Y. Osawa, "Methods for Parallel Computation of Complex Flow Problems", Parallel Computing, 25 (1999) 2039-2066.